Re: Base-passwd issues

turbo@tripnet.se (Ulf Fredriksson)  wrote on 19.03.98 in <[🔎] 19980319162719.26893.qmail@stalin.ccw.se>:

> Galen Hazelwood <galenh@apexxtech.com> writes:
>
> > > 4. If you are going to renumber items the there should be an
> > >    associated utility to find all the effected files, present them to
> > >    the admin for immediate or later action. Any processes running with
> > >    those uid or gids should also be presented to the admin.
> >
> > I wrote in the todo list that this problem is "harder than you think"; I
> > stand by that assessment.
>
> Any one solving this, I would _WERY_ much like the script/program that
> does this... Me and a friend have been woking on this a _VERY_ long time
> now, without solving the problem...

Hmm. I'd say something like this should work for the files:

* determine mounts
* ask which of these to search for files belonging to user X or group Y
  (That way, you don't need to guess which to ignore, which depends a lot
   on local policy anyway)
* search them, make a list of all the files to chown (and the new values)

Do that for all renumberings (accumulating all the per-file changes)

Then, actually change all the relevant files

This should be fairly easy with Perl. Slow, of course, but there's no way
around that.

As for processes, I'm not sure it's really worth it, but you can try to
find this out from /proc.

MfG Kai