Re: Backspace bug

Mark Baker <mbaker@iee.org> writes:

> On Wed, Mar 18, 1998 at 03:17:29PM +0100, Rainer Dorsch wrote:

> > When I do a remote login from a Sun workstation to a hamm system,
> > the backspace key is not working (and delete is not working as
> > backspace either). If I start a remote emacs or xterm, it is
> > working within these windows. On a bo system everything works ok.

> The bug is in bash. Edit the /etc/inputrc file and remove the delete
> keybinding, and it will work.

Yup, hamm assumes that if TERM=xterm*, then erase=^H.  Even if erase
is set to something else.  This affects everything linked with
libreadline.

> Believe it or not, this doesn't only affect logins from suns, but also from
> correctly configured debian systems!

Causes problems with Solaris, Red Hat, people who tweak their xterms
to send ^? for the Backspace keysym, etc.

> Why is it that so many weeks after our keyboard configuration policy was
> decided on, such key packages as bash and xbase fail to implement it?

What is our policy?  Can I file a bug against xbase?  I find it rather
annoying that the default Xresources file does:

*XmText.translations: #override\n\
      <Key>osfDelete: delete-previous-character()
*XmTextField.translations: #override\n\
      <Key>osfDelete: delete-previous-character()

Which makes the [Delete] key do what the backspace key is supposed to
do in Motif applications.  (This essentially breaks the delete key in
Netscape.)

(Formerly, misconfigured systems generated the wrong keysym for the
"Backspace" key - I assume this hack was a poor attempt to fix the
problem.  I believe this is fixed in recent versions of X, which use
Xkb rather than the console keymap.)

Steve
dunham@cps.msu.edu