Re: Backspace bug

On Wed, Mar 18, 1998 at 12:41:10PM -0600, Rob Browning wrote:

> > Why is it that so many weeks after our keyboard configuration policy was
> > decided on, such key packages as bash and xbase fail to implement it?
>
> Because no-one filed these as "important" bugs.  Aren't they?  I know
> that not being able to delete chars in the postinst during a remote
> install yesterday was particularly disconcerting.

The problem is that the old system was consistent, mostly. Anything that is
changed to do what we now recommend will appear not to work, but most people
won't realise that the bugs really lie in what's apparently been working for
ages.

And those of use who care about such things probably have configured our
setups to get it anyway, so won't know in what form the packages are
supplied.