Re: Are we in this for ourselves?

On 18 Mar 1998, Christian Leutloff wrote:

> I don't think that Debian and Red Hat are real competitors.

The way I read the DFSG, Debian shouldn't compete with RedHat at all.
It is a beautiful thing to have different distributions with different
approaches and strengths, sharing that what transcends the differences.

IMHO Debian's strength lies in its rigour towards freedom and coherence of
the distribution. As a user I like Debian for the quality standards set
by the developers. Personally, I'm quite fascinated by unix as a highly
technical thing. It's ok with me if it's difficult sometimes.

If I am looking for a distribution that primarily aims its quality
standards towards users who want a gentle landing from windows-land, I
could choose another distribution, one that put the difficult issues less
upfront, that would make different trade-offs and compromises.

I like the different distributions and the choice and freedom that they
provide.

> IMHO a big step towards a unique Linux distribution would be the use
> of a new standard package system that can use all distributions. Then
> there is a real change of making Debian the base for all distributions
> and the other distributions provide an additional service for the
> user.

Debian is more than a packaging tool, it is also the standards of policy.
Other distributions may set other, not lesser but other standards. Take
away the consistency and you take away a vital part of Debian.

I hope people will lighten up a bit and get back to their usual business,
enjoying in having fun at what you can do together with others.

Cheers,

Joost