Re: Are we in this for ourselves?

Hi,

Bruce> So, please folks, less "me" and more "the world".

	I think that this is not a workable Idea.  Altruinsm is not
 something that survives long past the glow of making a speech about
 how helpful and altruistic one is. One needs a motive, and indentured
 labour for the teeming masses does not cut it.

	People put in hard work writing code and maintaining
 packages. I know of may who suffer symptomes of sleep
 deprivation. What's in it for us? We do it cause we like it. Any
 other reason fails to stand the test of human nature; as such; giving
 away our work is stretching it.

	The thing that drives us is  that we feel a sense of community
 with people like us, who are like minded enough and have made the
 same commitments we have: to produce free software; and they have
 gone beyond lip service and actually come forth to stand up and be
 counted. We are not islands. We are a community. And outsiders fail
 to realize this.

	If you think that people who write free code for themselves
 and like minded people lack an ability to work together, you have
 become so estranged from us and lost so much touch with the community
 it is scary. You certainly do not speak for me.

	We do, however, object to being exploited: you should not take
 my work and make money off it. You cannot expect to take my
 volunteered efforts, and expect to order me around, and treat me with
 disrespect as though I am an indentured labourer. How dare you?

	What would happen if Atlas Shrugged?

	I do not care about the mission of SPI; but one person does
 not speak about the goal of Debian.

	I, for one, am offended by the patronizing tone of Bruces
 message.

	manoj
--
 "C is the assembly language of Tcl." Karl Lehenbauer
 (karl@hackercorp.com) "Assembly language is also available." Jordan