Re: Are we in this for ourselves?

Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>         We do, however, object to being exploited: you should not take
>  my work and make money off it. You cannot expect to take my
>  volunteered efforts, and expect to order me around, and treat me with
>  disrespect as though I am an indentured labourer. How dare you?

But why you are taking this so offending. It looks like you can't decide
about your own impact on marketing. If you start caring about it, it
offends you, if someone else starts thinking about it instead you, it
offends you. So, you don't want any marketing in Debian. But, pretty
please with suggar on top, try to reconsider this. You are very
important Debian developer. You can use me, and other folks sharing my
opinion to bother with ungrateful. You simply don't have to do it
yourself. If you want to please users, and make them grateful, then do
so. If you are not interested in that, then you are not interested in
any marketing issues, but I want to do that job. What drives me to free
software is not another 100 lines of nice code I wrote, it is every
ungrateful user I help to convert. Yes, religious aproach. So why not
let people like me, with better or native english language skills, do
this job.

Another point is "you sould not take my work and make money on it". I
hope you don't realy mean that. That kind of opinion is directly oposite
to free software idea. For arguments, you can read RMS's article on Qt
license, because this is their main, if not only, difference from free
software way.

>         I, for one, am offended by the patronizing tone of Bruces
>  message.

Please, don't be. Let him care about users and marketing. You are of to
much importance to Debian as developer, to risk your contribution,
becouse of ungrateful users. But I don't want to compare you as an
individual with user. On the other side, I shell compare importance of
users as group with importance of developers as a group. We need both
groups to make debian succes. This two last sentences is more or less
Linus point about Linux, made in interview for PC-CHIP, Croatian
computer magazine.

>         manoj

Regards,

--