Re: Qmail on lists.debian.org is costing me real money

On Tuesday, March 17 1998, at 10:01:04, Mark Baker wrote:
: On Tue, Mar 17, 1998 at 04:21:41AM +0100, Roberto Lumbreras wrote:
:
: > : Exim is particularly good for list traffic, as it can enqueue such
: > : traffic when it is injected by the list software and then at some
: > : later point send many messages to each host down a single SMTP
: > : session.
: >
: > Yes, exim starts sending after qmail had delivered 90% of them ;-)
:
: No; exim as Ian has it configured on chiark would do, because it's more
: bandwidth efficient that way. It doesn't have to be configured like that.

I mean exim spends time on sorting the recipients and messages,
qmail just sends them. And if you have thousands of recipients you
have to spend a lot of time sorting... And once exim has them
sorted it can't save all bandwidth it would like, because the
number of "RCPT TO:" commands in a smtp connection is limited to
20.

Regards,
--
Roberto Lumbreras