Re: Qmail on lists.debian.org is costing me real money

Hi Ian...

On Monday, March 16 1998, at 15:06:25, Ian Jackson wrote:
: The fact that lists.debian.org runs qmail is costing me real money:
:
: I have several local users who subscribe to various debian-* lists, as
: well as the `system' mail-to-news gateways.  Currently, because lists
: runs qmail, I get many physical copies of these messages.  If lists
: ran some other MTA it would deliver each copy using a separate
: envelope.

You need a sublist in your local machine, so only one address is
subscribed to the real lists, and your box only receives a copy of
each message.

: I'm being charged British commercial rates for bandwidth, and some
: people are paying European phone rates (which are horrendous) and will
: have the same problem.

Yes, I know/suffer them.

: All of us could each run a local exploder, but this is a lot of hassle
: when individual local people want to (un)subscribe.  Wouldn't it be
: better if lists ran a more efficient and DFSG-free MTA such as Exim ?

If you run a sublist local people can (un)subscribe themselves
automaticaly. And qmail isn't DFSG-free (only because
modifitacion/distribution), but it wastes less bandwidth than
others MTAs in most cases (not allways, like yours); sendmail, for
example, wastes lots of time and badwidth doing unnecessary dns
lookups and other things.

: Exim is particularly good for list traffic, as it can enqueue such
: traffic when it is injected by the list software and then at some
: later point send many messages to each host down a single SMTP
: session.

Yes, exim starts sending after qmail had delivered 90% of them ;-)

: It also doesn't make n simultaneous connections to recipient machines,
: which is more friendly.

Doesn't it? Then it will be very hard to get mail sent to aol.com,
for example, they have all their MX refusing mail all the day.
Concurrent deliveries are very necessary. And sendmail *does*
simultaneous connectios to recipient machines; qmail does the same,
but with an scheduling for each message, not for each host like
sendmail; that is because sendmail makes lots of simultaneous
connections to machines just revived... qmail doesn't.

BTW, if you want exactly one connection to your machine you can't
use SMTP, you need UUCP or serialmail... or maybe you can run smtpd
with tcpserver and only one simultaneous connection ;-)

: Exim has pretty good verification of claimed sender addresses and the
: like, which can prevent some spam.  Furthermore, the bug system can
: then do away with its local copy of Smail.

"claimed sender addresses"? Do you mean Envelope return
address/Return Path? It can be forged, so what is the problem?

Well, Dan Bernsein can have very strange ideas about licenses and
free software, but he is a very good programmer and mta designer.

Regards,
--
Roberto Lumbreras
rover@lander.es | rover@etsit.upm.es | rover@debian.org & pgp 143BE391