Re: DynDNS

> Currently, buoy.com is running 'bo', so no bind 8. I played with bind8 on
> another system, and it gave me all kinds of grief. I secondary for between
> 200-400 other zones (it varies depending on the month), and the upgrade
> completly screwed my secondaries, so I'm in no rush to 'upgrade'. I understand
> how the dynamic stuff works, but if you have a machine with smtp running
> on a dynamic address, and you hang up, don't you have your name/ip still
> hanging out there? How does the zone file get updated so that the
> next person to get your former IP address doesn't try to accept delivery
> for your email if queued?

I think this is what we would have to put up with. The mail will not be
delivered to that person anyway, beacause of machine name mismatch.
And under current scheme you cannot reliably notify when connection is
lost. (Another possibility is that DynDNS will remove the entry after a
certain amount of time unless "extension" request comes in, but this is an
overkill, IMHO).

Alex Y.

--
   _