Re: DynDNS

Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Mar 1998, Amos Shapira wrote:
>
> > aqy6633@acf5.nyu.edu (Alex Yukhimets) wrote:
> > |I don't have any sources, but I also don't think it is a big deal to write
> > |one from scratch. We should only agree on communication method. The server
> >
> > I don't quite get it - whatever DynDNS does, your suggestions seems to
> > be allready covered by the current release of Bind 8, from
> > /usr/doc/bind/README:
> >
> > BIND 8 Features
> >
> >         -> DNS Dynamic Updates (RFC 2136)
> >
> >         -> DNS Change Notification (RFC 1996)
>
> > Am I missing something in thinking that RFC 2136 allready defines
> > this?
>
> Yes. The 'DynDNS' Tim is looking for is the modification (and then
> distribution) of the zone file based on dynamic IP address assignment to
> the owner of the domain [ie ppp]. Monolith does this with a HTTP server
> running a CGI form that has an account name, password and new IP. the
> DynDNS client then simply pulls the IP from the interface and sends a HTTP
> POST request to the server, it updates the zone file and then hups bind
> (8) which invokes RFC 2136/1996 to update every secondary and presto, you
> have a static hostname for a dynamic IP.

Currently, buoy.com is running 'bo', so no bind 8. I played with bind8 on
another system, and it gave me all kinds of grief. I secondary for between
200-400 other zones (it varies depending on the month), and the upgrade
completly screwed my secondaries, so I'm in no rush to 'upgrade'. I understand
how the dynamic stuff works, but if you have a machine with smtp running
on a dynamic address, and you hang up, don't you have your name/ip still
hanging out there? How does the zone file get updated so that the
next person to get your former IP address doesn't try to accept delivery
for your email if queued?

Tim

--
 (work) sailer@bnl.gov / (home) tps@buoy.com - http://www.buoy.com/~tps
             "Too much information running through my brain,