Re: PostgreSQL upgrade will require Pre-Depends dependency

In article <[🔎] 199803141623.QAA02130@linda.lfix.co.uk>,
Oliver Elphick <olly@lfix.co.uk> wrote:
>  > You have the old binaries available when the new preinst runs..!
>
>If so, I can indeed capture them and use them, but I asked that question
>before and got no clear answer.
>
>So - is it guaranteed that the binaries of a previous package will still
>be available when preinst runs?  Can I rely on this behaviour indefinitely?
>and will I be justified in raising a bug report if anyone breaks it in the
>future?
>
>If the answer to all these is yes, then I will, with great relief, put
>all the necessary stuff in the preinst and postinst scripts for postgresql
>itself, and there will be no need for a Pre-Dependnecy.

I's guess the reason you got no clear answer before is
probably that the answer's already spelled out for you in
gory detail in the Debian packaging manual, chapter 6.  Look in
/usr/doc/dpkg/packaging.html/ch-maintainerscripts.html; the whole
sequence for installs, upgrades and removals, both with and without
conflicting packages &c. is there.  Honestly, that's where you'll find
the definitive answer.

--
Charles Briscoe-Smith
White pages entry, with PGP key: <URL:http://alethea.ukc.ac.uk/wp?95cpb4>