Configuring default paper size

Are there guidelines or docs on postinst scripts to configure default
paper sizes used by packages?  The r-base package allows setting of
the default paper size for plots.  Since I build the package in North
America I set the default to "letter".  In fairness to others who use
a more rational system of weights and measures I should look for some
indication of the default paper size and reset that after installation.

I see I have a file called /etc/papersize containing the single word
"letter" but no Debian package is willing to claim it.
 sh-2.01$ dpkg -S /etc/papersize
 dpkg: /etc/papersize not found.