Re: e2compr (was: Re: Essential pacakges)

On Mon, Mar 09, 1998 at 06:32:31AM -0800, Joel Klecker wrote:
> At 03:37 +0100 1998-03-09, Richard Braakman wrote:
> >This is in fact the plan for e2compr; or rather, it was on Nov 17 1997.
> >I guess the maintainer never got around to it, or is waiting for something
> >else.
> >
> >In any case, e2compr will never make it into hamm as-is.  It's too buggy.
>
> I'd go as far as to call it dangerous, e2compr should really be in
> experimental, IMHO. Just recently, the latest e2compr update required that
> every compressed file be uncompressed before upgrading (and required that a
> small part of the fs be zeroed).

That's beta, but I agree. It needs to go into experimental. A new libc6
version is on its way, but I'm having trouble on deciding on how best to
pack the source - including a complete copy of e2fsprogs doesn't seem very
clean.

I might suggest that we just drop the thing completely, and have users
"do it themselves". The binaries supplied by the author, although libc5,
are good enough to work.

--
Tom Lees <tom@lpsg.demon.co.uk> <tom@debian.org>  http://www.lpsg.demon.co.uk/
PGP Key: finger tom@master.debian.org, http://www.lpsg.demon.co.uk/pgpkey.txt.