Re: Hamm boot disks

I hope this gets to the lists...

On Fri, 13 Mar 1998, Jim Mintha wrote:

> - After giving the nfs server it then appears to hang.
> Snooping the network it seems it is doing a recursive (slow)
> search of the which ever directory you specified.  It does
> eventually find the boot image (about 10 minutes later)  This
> seems to be related to the bug others have mentioned that
> returns you to the color/mono selection screen.

I was about to report this... or something like this. According
to this, I'm being too impatient. I kill dinstall after a few
seconds... I'll try leaving it running.

Anyway. I tried to do it by hand. The NFS volume is mounted on
/instmnt <sp>. I do

zcat /instmnt/dists/unstable/main/disks-i386/current/base2_0.tgz

and nothing happens. I didn't find any program that seems to be
able to read gz files. I tried this after trying:

cd /target
zcat /instmnt/dists/unstable/main/disks-i386/current/base2_0.tgz | star

how is it suppossed to work then? I'm trying to get going with
the installation, but I haven't been able to get past the base
installation point.

With NFS, when it asks about the path inside the mounted
directory where the files are, I'm not sure what to answer. The
NFS server exports /home/ftp/pub/debian; with the NFS method in
dselect I have to answer /home/ftp/pub/debian and then "." With
the current installation disks I'm leaving that blank, and
dinstall seems to like that. But then it hangs (or seems to hang)
when it tries to install the base files.

		Marcelo