Hamm boot disks

Just to add my experience with the boot disks: (*)

- when using NFS to get the base image, dns doesn't seem to work.  I
had to give the numeric IP of the nfs server.

- After giving the nfs server it then appears to hang.  Snooping the
network it seems it is doing a recursive (slow) search of the which
ever directory you specified.  It does eventually find the boot image
(about 10 minutes later)  This seems to be related to the bug others
have mentioned that returns you to the color/mono selection screen.

- I found the timezone selection screen un-intuitive.  It says to
select the appropriate location in the world in which you live, but
the first list is timezones (e.g. PST MST) and only a few countries.
The second list has more, but seems to be a sublist of the first
list.  (The old way I could just type Canada/Pacific)

- On the installation main menu it would be nice if there was some
kind of line or box around the scrolling list to separate it visually
from the help/etc.

- I get constant messages: hdd : tray open or drive not ready which
appear on the main screen. (presumably from attempted reads of the
cdrom)  They are covered over when the next dialog appears, but are
disconcerting because the eye sees an error and then it is covered up
making you think something went wrong.  It would be nice if they could
be diverted elsewhere (I see that they show up on ALT-F4 screen as
well)

Jim

(*) This is all meant as constructive criticism :^)

Jim Mintha, Geography System Administrator, U.B.C.
mintha@geog.ubc.ca, or jmintha@debian.org  <www.geog.ubc.ca/jim>
Home: 604 731-7240  Work: 604 822-2174  Fax: 604 822-6150

Where you want to be tommorow... Debian GNU/Linux <www.debian.org>