Re: Hamm boot disks

Jim Mintha <jim@geog.ubc.ca> wrote:
> - I get constant messages: hdd : tray open or drive not ready which
> appear on the main screen. (presumably from attempted reads of the
> cdrom)  They are covered over when the next dialog appears, but are
> disconcerting because the eye sees an error and then it is covered up
> making you think something went wrong.  It would be nice if they could
> be diverted elsewhere (I see that they show up on ALT-F4 screen as
> well)

Another alternative might be to pipe stderr through a pipe that does
something like:

while read l; do touch /tmp/er; echo $l; done

and then have everything which clears the screen (e.g. /bin/clear
if that were to exist) do something like:

if [ -f /tmp/er ]; then rm /tmp/er; sleep 2; fi

[Doesn't have to be implemented in sh, of course].

This doesn't guarantee that the error messages will always be placed
attractively, but does grant a certain amount of time to read them.

--
Raul