Re: debian-emacs-policy

Ben Pfaff <pfaffben@pilot.msu.edu> writes:

> debian-emacs-flavor, IIRC.

Yep, it's a typo.  I've fixed it.

> The purpose of flavors is to distinguish versions of Emacs where
> packages have to be separately compiled in order to access special
> features or even just to run correctly.

Right.  The original intention was to provide separate directories for
each flavor.  This was mainly necessitated by byte-compiled file
format incompatibilities among the flavors.

>      I think it is better that debian-run-direcotires add
>      /usr/share/<emacs>/site-lisp/<package-name>/ to load-path
>      if /etc/<emacs>/site-start.d/NN<package-name>.el{,c} successfully loaded
>       and /usr/share/<emacs>/site-lisp/<package-name>/ exists and is directory.
>
> I agree.  This would, in some cases, simplify creating emacs add-on
> packages quite a bit.

I don't think I want to do this.  I think I'd like to leave it
completely up to the package maintainer to decide what should be added
to the load path.

Consider, for example, a package that has all its files in
/usr/share/<emacs>/site-lisp/<package-name>/lisp.  Why should
/usr/share/<emacs>/site-lisp/<package-name>/ be in the load path?
Also a package might just load all it's code from the /etc/ file, so
modifications to the load path would be superflouous.

(Oh and Ben, thanks for answering all these emacsen questions, you've
done a great job, and saved me quite a bit of typing.)

--
Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu>