Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 09:41:57 +1030
From: Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To: Igor Grobman <igor@digicron.com>
Subject: Re: vgaset copyright problem

On Wed, 11 March 1998 at  7:04:48 -0500, Igor Grobman wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am the maintainer of SVGATextMode package for debian/GNU linux.  Debian is a
> linux distribution developed by volunteers from all over the world.  Please
> visit http://www.debian.org for more info.
>
> It was recently pointed out to me that the copyright of vgaset program, which
> is included in stm sources, is not free by debian definition, and I will
> therefore have to take it out of stm package.  I am very reluctant to do this,
> because vgaset is useful for some, and because that would break my ability to
> generate the debian package from pristine upstream source.  Here is the
> copyright that I have:
>
> This program may be used freely for non-commercial purposes. Source
> extracts should indicate the original copyright notice. In case of
> problems, please contact me.
>
> The problem with this copyright is that it prohibits commercial use.  This is
> problematic, because debian is designed to be the base from which other
> (possibly commercial) products may grow.  It is our goal to have only truly
> free programs in the main distribution.  To see our free software guidelines,
> take a look at http://www.debian.org/social_contract.html  The Free software
> guildelines section tells you what kind of copyrights we recommend using, and
> which restrictions are acceptable.
>
> Please let me know if you could change the copyright on vgaset.

Hmm.  That shows how old it is, I suppose.  I personally think it's
obsolete.  If you want, though, take this as my agreement to put it
under the GPL.

Greg

------- End of Forwarded Message

--
Proudly running Debian Linux! Linux vs. Windows is a no-Win situation....
Igor Grobman           igor@debian.org                 igor@digicron.com