Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 11:08:28 -0500 (EST)
From: POTTERMR 703-614-0207 <pottermr@acq.osd.mil>
Subject: Re: us govt. software
To: Shaya Potter <spotter@kby.netmedia.net.il>

Normally, anything produced by the Government and is released to te public is
freely modifiable.  You can take for instance any book, publication, etc. and
see that you don't have problems copying it and republishing it.  As an
example, the IRS produces a free guidebook for taxes.  Some publishers,
republish it with additional material and sell it.

Now with software, there may be an additional issue however.  A Government
employee may get a patent on a design or software system.  The Government can
use it free and so can the Government contractors.  However, if the software is
used for non-government purposes, then the owner of the patent (the Government
employee) is entitled to the rights (and money if any).  I know this from my
work in the lab and Dr. Sid Berkowitz who was my boss had several patents that
the Government got for him.  Now, I don't know what happens with copyrights on
software, as this would not be done by a Government employee over work that he
did on the job.  However, he/she may have gotten a patent and that would be
different.

Hope that this helps.

Abba