Re: laggy lintian

Christian Schwarz <schwarz@monet.m.isar.de>:
|A few people have complained that I based my last Lintian bug reports on
|an outdated archive. The reason for this is very simple: Currently, I have
|to run lintian at home since it would produce a too high load on master.
|I'm mirroring from the german ftp server (ftp.de.debian.org), which is
|usually 1-2 days behind, and I need about 2-3 days from mirroring to the
|final bug report creation (because I can only work for Debian in the
|evenings and mirroring and running lintian requires about 6 hours each).

What about making smaller, "tighter", cycles - instead of downloading
entire archive (which more-or-less becomes outdated just about when
you are finished downloading it), download just a package or two (or
three...  you get the idea), run lintian on them, then continue to
download the next package (or even better - download the next package
in parallel to running the tests on the "current" package)?  That way
the versions you check should be a little closer to the latest ones.

Thanks for taking the time to run lintian on all those packages, I
feel you are doing a very important work.  Wish I could provide you
with a better machine but I'm in Israel (i.e. the link from Germany
goes through the states, at least until we connect through a new
uplink provider via London) and I don't have such amounts of disk
available.

Cheers,

--Amos

--Amos Shapira                    | "Of course Australia was marked for
133 Shlomo Ben-Yosef st.          |  glory, for its people had been chosen
Jerusalem 93 805                  |  by the finest judges in England."
ISRAEL        amos@gezernet.co.il |                     -- Anonymous