Re: HAMM FREEZE IS ONE WEEK AWAY

> > I don't mind letting packages that already exist for one architecture
> > being admitted into another architecture if it was automatically
> > compiled.  Since it was obviously approved for one, there is no reason
> > why it shouldn't be approved for another.
>
> Well, in most cases, I'll be compiling these by hand, so in the strict
> sense, "automatically compiled" will not be true.  The packages will,
> however, hold the same version numbering and such as the x86 packages for
> the most part (unless I need to patch it...even then, I usually keep the
> versioning the same and just send the patch to the bug tracking system).

Perhaps I should have said "simply recompiled for the new architecture".
I was just thinking that there was no new code (a few arch patches would
be okay, though) in that version.

> > I think we can swing 2-3 weeks for these such uploads.
>
> Sounds good.  I'd say we could probably catch up ALOT in that amount of
> time.  What percentage of the x86 packages need to be ported (in your
> opinion) for us to be "ready" on the Alpha?  Just curious....

Hmmm...  I couldn't really say.  I think everything that has a priority
of "essential", "required", "standard", or "important" should be there.
Beyond that, as much as possible though not necessary.

                                          Brian
                                 ( bcwhite@verisim.com )