cvs-buildpackage usage

I maintain the r-base package.  The upstream source code for this
package has been made into a CVS tree to which I have access.  I can
and will install the debian directory into the upstream source CVS
tree.  I hope I will then be able to use cvs-buildpackage even though
the CVS archive is not a local archive into which I have injected the
package.

It looks to me from a run of
 cvs-buildpackage -d -n -rfakeroot
that cvs-buildpackage will always go back to CVSROOT and run
 cvs export
In this case the CVSROOT directory is on a machine in New Zealand and
I am in North America.  I would prefer not to transfer the entire tree
every time I try a build.  It would be much more efficient if I could
have a way to run
 cvs update
in my checked-out copy of the source tree then export from there.  Is
this easy to do?