Re: Netscape license

Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu> on Sat, Mar 07, 1998 at 05:16:57AM -0500:
> > "...code covered by the GPL is inherently tainting (almost all software
> > that uses it must also be covered by the GPL)"  It might be said that
> > the GPL is so antithetical as to be mere fanaticism.
>
> Antithetical to what? Encouraging free software? I think not.

You're right, that was perhaps poorly worded.  What I meant was, that
the GPL attempts to be the antithesis of *non*-free software.  In the
process it becomes an extreme implementation and largely fanatical.
Thus, problems with full adaptation...it locks you in by basically
requiring that everything that uses GPLed software, is also GPLed.
While this may be a good theory, it's not very well thought out and will
in the long run discourage its adaptation from paradigms not currently
using it.  Hence, NPL -- although there are of course special
considerations in this case.

--
Scott