Re: Unicode Support

bruce@va.debian.org writes:
 > There is substantial wide character support in the GNU LIBC 2. That will
 > be in Debian 2.0 . There is unicode support in the console driver in the
 > yet-unreleased Linux 2.1 kernel, although it seems to be mapping a
 > 256-glyph code-page to Unicode, it is not making the entire Unicode set
 > available via the console driver. I don't know about X, but of course any
 > serious use of Unicode should be happening within X.

The 2.0 kernel already has support for unicode, but the main problem
is the kbd package, which is a bit limitted in this respect.

You may want to have a look at console-tools, at sunsite in
linux/system/keyboards/, to get better command-line support for
unicode.

I wrote a little primer about unicode, which is included in
console-tools.

--
Yann Dirson  <ydirson@a2points.com>      | Stop making M$-Bill richer & richer,
alt-email:     <dirson@univ-mlv.fr>      |     support Debian GNU/Linux: