Re: Intent to package proj -- coyright question

What we need is a lawyer familiar with these particular laws.  It is not
simlpe for a non-lawyer to interpret the law not because of a lack of
context; that is, we de not know the relevant court decision which have
modified the meaning of the words which the legislator wrote.

When I looked at the US code (on the US Copyroight Office page), this is
all I found:

§ 105. Subject matter of copyright: United States Government works1

     Copyright protection under this title is not available for any work
     of the United States Government, but the United States Government
     is not precluded from receiving and holding copyrights transferred
     to it by assignment, bequest, or otherwise.

Now, this does not say that US Govt works are public domain, but a court
may have ruled somewhere that they are.

Thus we need a lawyer.

Carl

--