Re: why ddd-?motif are gone from archive?

> Alex Yukhimets <aqy6633@acf5.nyu.edu> writes:
>
> > I don't think that Motif packages (at least -dmotif part) should *ever* be
> > removed from the archive *even* if lesstif version is stable and fully
> > functional.
>
> I disagree with this on political reasons.
>
> Guy

It's you right to disagree for political reasons, but these reasons are
not in the policy :)

Let me clarify myself a bit: there is a couple of Motif applications
nowdays, and this number will grow, that uses Motif 2.0 (and 2.1)
features. To use those applications users would have to buy Motif (2.0 or
2.1). Lessitf is far from emulating Motif 1.2 behavior, 2.0 and 2.1 even
not in the stated current goals. Since we all know that lesstif-linked
applications, even if stable enough, behave a little differently than
Motif-linked, the user who spent money on Motif, wants to use Motif-linked
to enjoy expected behavior. Not to mention that installing both lesstif
AND Motif libraries is not a good idea. Providing -dmotif packages would
benefit those users and will not harm Debian in any way, even political.

If lesstif version is stable and functional, the reason to keep -smotif
package is not clear, and it may be removed at this time. But I think that
decision to remove it should be taken after after discussion.

Thanks.

Alex Y.
--
   _