Re: It's now DFSG compliant? I think yes but...

On Tue, 3 Mar 1998, Martin Schulze wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 03, 1998 at 05:25:16PM +0100, Federico Di Gregorio wrote:
>
> > -----Forwarded message from Norman Ramsey <nr@cs.virginia.edu>-----
> >
> > Date: Mon, 02 Mar 1998 14:09:08 -0500
> > From: Norman Ramsey <nr@cs.virginia.edu>
> >
> > I have modified the noweb license to address your two ojections.
> > Let me know if this will do the job.
> >
> > Noweb is copyright 1989-1998 by Norman Ramsey.  All rights reserved.
> >
> > Noweb is protected by copyright.  It is not public-domain
> > software or shareware, and it is not protected by a ``copyleft''
> > agreement like the one used by the Free Software Foundation.
> >
> > Noweb is available free for any use in any field of endeavor.  You may
> > redistribute noweb in whole or in part provided you acknowledge its
> > source and include this COPYRIGHT file.  You may modify noweb and
> > create derived works, provided you retain this copyright notice, but
> > the result may not be called noweb without my written consent.
>
> This makes it imposssible for us to distributed a patched version
> of noweb.  Non-DFSG afaik.

No, it forces us to rename it.  Not non-DSFG, just borderline.  Perhaps
encouraging him to modify the terms to simply require prominant notice
that is is a changed version....

--
Scott K. Ellis <storm@gate.net>                 http://www.gate.net/~storm/