Re: ml.org's dynamic DNS

bruce@va.debian.org writes:

> Want to bring this up and see what they say? From my experience with
> ampr.org, BIND will handle 50,000 entries on what is now a modest
> system.  Perhaps they are waiting for enough users to make more
> engineering necessary.

Maybe, assuming we want such a thing, and if we could scrounge up a
server, someone at ml.org would be willing to run dyn.debian.org.
They seem to have a handle on the job.

> Can you solve the problem of keeping the envelope-from of your SMTP
> server the same over time without dynamic DNS? I could not think of
> how to do this.  It sounds to me as if some other system might get
> my mail bounces.

Even with dynamic dns, when you're not connected, wouldn't some other
machine get the bounces, i.e. the machine at the last address you
registered with ml?  Or are you presuming that you deactivate the
address every time you disconnect?  I suppose that would make the most
sense, and then other hosts would just get DNS failure and retry
later.

--
Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu>