Re: hamm upgrade using dselect

Sven Rudolph <sr1@os.inf.tu-dresden.de> writes:

> Craig Sanders <cas@taz.net.au> writes:
> > On Wed, 25 Feb 1998, Paul Slootman wrote:
> >
> > > On Wed 25 Feb 1998, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> (I didn't know that it can be used on an already-mounted fs.) I tested
> it, and it is nice for normal use. I don't know whether we can rely on
> it for update purposes. Currently there isn't even a libc5 version.

It was new for Hamm, so I've never had any reason to make one. What would I do
with one if I made it?

> > i agree. mountable is much better than mounted. it needs pkg-order
> > support and pre-dependancies (which pkg-order will probably give it) but
> > apart from that, it is perfect for installing from mounted/mountable
> > filesystems.
> Is anyone working on this ?

Well ... kind of, but it's fairly slow going; the problem being, using
pkg-order means a fairly major rewrite of most of the code, and it turned into
a fairly major rewrite of /all/ the code, and I haven't looked at it for a
while. IIRC it currently does dependency ordering and predependencies, but not
dependency checking; I wanted to put that in too, but it's probably not

> > > It also demands that the filesystem is not mounted, else it barfs when
> > > it tries to mount it itself. That's not always an option, and sometimes
> > > a pain.  Or at least that was when I tried that last.
> >
> > it certainly doesn't do that now.
> It asks for the filesystem:
>   First, I need to know what partition you are installing from. This can
>   either be the device (eg /dev/hda3), or the mount point (eg /mnt), but
>   in either case the filesystem you specify MUST BE IN /etc/fstab.
>   Enter the root filesystem [/]:
> This doesn't match my plans when I want to tell the program that I
> want to install from a directory.

This is actually documented in /usr/doc/dpkg-mountable/README (I think) as a
known hack: just give it the root directory, and it won't try to mount/unmount
it, but will just use the directory you give it.

If it's going to be available by default with dpkg, this certainly needs
putting in the prompts.

Andy Mortimer, andy.mortimer@poboxes.com
PGP public key available on key servers
The illusion is deep, it's as deep as the night,
I can tell by your tears you remember it all.