Re: hamm upgrade using dselect

Sven Rudolph <sr1@os.inf.tu-dresden.de> writes:

> Craig Sanders <cas@taz.net.au> writes:
>
> > On Wed, 25 Feb 1998, Paul Slootman wrote:
> >
> > > On Wed 25 Feb 1998, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>
> (I didn't know that it can be used on an already-mounted fs.) I tested
> it, and it is nice for normal use. I don't know whether we can rely on
> it for update purposes. Currently there isn't even a libc5 version.

It was new for Hamm, so I've never had any reason to make one. What would I do
with one if I made it?

> > i agree. mountable is much better than mounted. it needs pkg-order
> > support and pre-dependancies (which pkg-order will probably give it) but
> > apart from that, it is perfect for installing from mounted/mountable
> > filesystems.
>
> Is anyone working on this ?

Well ... kind of, but it's fairly slow going; the problem being, using
pkg-order means a fairly major rewrite of most of the code, and it turned into
a fairly major rewrite of /all/ the code, and I haven't looked at it for a
while. IIRC it currently does dependency ordering and predependencies, but not
dependency checking; I wanted to put that in too, but it's probably not
necessary.

> > > It also demands that the filesystem is not mounted, else it barfs when
> > > it tries to mount it itself. That's not always an option, and sometimes
> > > a pain.  Or at least that was when I tried that last.
> >
> > it certainly doesn't do that now.
[...]
> It asks for the filesystem:
>
>   First, I need to know what partition you are installing from. This can
>   either be the device (eg /dev/hda3), or the mount point (eg /mnt), but
>   in either case the filesystem you specify MUST BE IN /etc/fstab.
>
>   Enter the root filesystem [/]:
>
> This doesn't match my plans when I want to tell the program that I
> want to install from a directory.

This is actually documented in /usr/doc/dpkg-mountable/README (I think) as a
known hack: just give it the root directory, and it won't try to mount/unmount
it, but will just use the directory you give it.

If it's going to be available by default with dpkg, this certainly needs
putting in the prompts.

Thanks,

Andy

--