Re: On new names for "Deity"

On Feb 27, bruce@va.debian.org wrote:
> I like a few of the suggestions that have been presented. Alas, only a
> few :-)
>
> I think we should go with "Trove" for the package management portion of
> our administration tool suite, and go on to other issues now. It's a unique
> name, it doesn't sound like anything else, it arouses curiousity, and has the
> advantage of not being an acronym. It accurately reflects the feeling we
> want people to have about the free software collection that it accesses.
>
> 	trove
> 	('tr{o-}v)
> 	Etymology: short for i[treasure trove]
> 	1) n, DISCOVERY, FIND
> 	2) n, a valuable collection: TREASURE
> 	HAUL]
>
> So far, I haven't heard much suggestion that this is a horrible hateful name.
> I think we spend way too much time on the names of things. I don't think we
> need to continue to throw ideas into the hat and go on to an election about
> them :-) .

IMHO acronyms are better. Other names may cause a lot of problems concerning
the spelling of the word (especially for languages other than english).

Imagine you tell somebody on the phone the name "trove". I bet that a lot of
people would ask about the spelling of the word. Does it use a 'v', 've' or
a 'w' at the end of the word? Is it an 'o' or 'ou' in the middle of the word
and so on. The spelling might be easy for english but not necessarily for
other languages.

Thanks,

Peter

--
Peter Tobias <tobias@et-inf.fho-emden.de> <tobias@debian.org> <tobias@linux.de>
PGP ID EFAA400D, fingerprint = 06 89 EB 2E 01 7C B4 02  04 62 89 6C 2F DD F1 3C