Re: New Debian Package

[Redirected to debian-devel as that's an appropriate forum for this]

On Thu, Feb 26, 1998 at 01:43:23PM +0100, Raffaele 'Troglo' Pisapia wrote:

> TCFS is a Transparent Cryptographic File System which is a suitable
> solution to the problem of privacy for distributed file system. By a deeper
> integration between the encryption service and the file system, it results in
> a complete trasparency of use to the user applications. Files are stored in
> encrypted form and are encrypted/decrypted before they are written/read. The
> encryption/decryption process takes place on the client machine and thus the
> encryption/decryption key never travels on the network and is completely
> transparent to the applications.
>
> You can found more information about TCFS on our
> web site : http://tcfs.dia.unisa.it
>
> We would like to enquire about the procedure for
> including TCFS into the next release of the Debian distribution

Which copyright does it has?  As you know all software in the main
distribution of Debian GNU/Linux needs to be DFSG conforming.  The
rules may be found together with our Social Cotract at
<URL:http://www.de.debian.org/social_contract.html>  If it is DFSG
conforming all you need is to find a maintainer to maintain the
package or become a maintainer yourself.

What kind of cryptocraphy is used?  You should know that there is
very restrictive law that doesn't permit to export several cryptographic
outside of the U.S.  If you use such routines the package cannot
be included in the main distribution, instead it has to go into
the special section non-US which is hosted on nonus.debian.org

> If you are not the right person to ask to, I would
> appreciate if you could point me to the right person.

An appropriate forum is debian-devel@lists.debian.org.  I'm redirecting
the answer to it.

Regards,

	Joey

 /                                     http://home.pages.de/~joey/
/ Ich muede, also bin ich                       -- Andreas Porr /