Re: RFD : libg++/gcc/egcs upgrades needed for libc6 (READ ME)

Galen Hazelwood <galenh@micron.net> writes:

> (James--I am cc'ing this to debian-devel.  Hope you don't mind...)
>
> James Troup wrote:
>
> > I'm not trying to be argumentative, I just genuinely don't understand
> > this urgent need to switch compilers.
>
> I'm pretty sure this was brought up in debian-devel.  Check the archives
> for subjects matching the one on this message.
>

> > Welp, I'll start a discussion about it on debian-68k and with Andreas
> > and see what he says.  However, Jes (head m68k kernel blokey, and
> > single-handed creator of Redhat-m68k (in like 1/12 of the time it's
> > taken Debian/m68k to get where it is)), has publicly stated that "a
> > distribution compiling things with egcs is broken".  :-(

Could it be that some of Jes's personal opinion is expressed in his
statement? I'm currently working on Eagle Linux m68k, which is a
competition for Jes with his redhat and the air has been quite hot
between us for several reasons. Inbetween Jes used egcs as a reason
not to use Eagle linux but to use Redhat (he thought we had used egcs
for compileing our binaries, which we havent). Nothing against Jes, he
did a great job with RH-m68k, but I cant secon his elaborations on egcs.

For the Eagle Linux m68k we used egcs during developement and for
cross checking and gcc for the final stuff. Our maschines (m68k and
i386) are running on an egcs compiled kernel for month without break
and so far we have seen not one single problem caused by egcs (except
that it finds more dirt in the Source).

May the Source be with you.
			Mrvn