Re: sources to both contrib & main packages

Hi,

	Hmm, my reading of policy is  that packages refers to is .deb
 Debian packages, not sources or the so called ``source packages'',
 which are never mentioned in policy.

	We bundle upstream sources, diffs, and a .dcs file, but those
 are not packages.

2.1.2. The main section
-----------------------

     Every package in "main" must comply with the DFSG (Debian Free
     Software Guidelines).

     In addition, the packages in "main"

        * must not require a package outside of "main" for compilation or
          execution (thus, the package may not declare a "Depends" or
          "Recommends" relationship on a non-main package),
        * must not be so buggy that we refuse to support them,
        * must meet all policy requirements presented in this manual.

	The main package, www-pgsql*.deb, does not require anything
 outside of main to build. No problem there.

2.1.3. The contrib section
--------------------------

     Every package in "contrib" must comply with the DFSG.

     Examples of packages which would be included in "contrib" are

        * free packages which require "contrib", "non-free", or "non-US"
          packages or packages which are not in our archive at all for
          compilation or execution,
        * wrapper packages or other sorts of free accessories for non-free
          programs,
        * packages which we don't want to support because they are too
          buggy, and
        * packages which fail to meet some other policy requirements in a
          serious way.

	The contrib package can and does need stuff in non-free.

	As far as I can see, no problem at all. No one is forcing you
 to use dpkg-buildpackage. (Am I the only one who remembers days
 before dpkg-buildpackage?)

	manoj

>>"Hamish" == Hamish Moffatt <hamish@debian.org> writes:

Hamish> Some sources produce both main & non-main packages. www-sql,
Hamish> for example, produces www-mysql (used to be www-sql) for
Hamish> contrib (since mysql is non-free); currently the www-sql
Hamish> source is in contrib too. Now www-sql can be built for
Hamish> postgresql too, so I will make a binary package
Hamish> www-pgsql. This can go into main because postgresql is
Hamish> DFSG-free, and www-sql itself is GPL.

Hamish> However, dpkg-buildpackage is going to want to build both
Hamish> www-mysql & www-pgsql if they're built off the same source; a
Hamish> main source package can't depend on non-main things to build,
Hamish> so it won't be able to build www-mysql. But www-sql must be in
Hamish> main to build www-pgsql for main.

Hamish> The "fix" seems to be to have two source packages. Is there a
Hamish> better one? dpkg-buildpackage needs multiple binary targets,
Hamish> perhaps.

Hamish> Some other packages were mentioned on debian-devel which have
Hamish> the same problem; ax25utils (has some xforms support), ddd and
Hamish> some others.

Hamish> thanks, Hamish Hamish Moffatt, hamish@debian.org,
Hamish> hamish@rising.com.au, hmoffatt@mail.com Latest Debian packages
Hamish> at ftp://ftp.rising.com.au/pub/hamish. PGP#EFA6B9D5 CCs of
Hamish> replies from mailing lists are welcome.
Hamish> http://hamish.home.ml.org

--
 Chown up.  Chow down.