problems while updating packages with dpkg

Hello,
Sometime ago I got the Debian GNU/Linux 1.1.4.Sept96 release. Working
with it, I managed to set up my little system at home.(I was very proud
of myself ;-)).
Two months ago, I borrowed from some friends the Debian 1.3.1. release.
Eagerly :-) I began updating packages, installing this, purging that,...

In the middle of the fun, it ocurred to me that it could be interesting
to have the new dpkg package(s) on my system. So I installed
dpkg1.4.0.8.deb, dpkg_cross_0.1.deb, dpkg -dev_1.4 and dpkg_ftp_1.9.8,
well the dpkg-related packages appearing in my new distribution.

A few days ago, I ran 'dpkg -l' and I got a message reading something
like 'problems while parsing /var/lib/dpkg/available'. I realized that
this database was corrupted!. Lots of package info lines were repeated
even twice or more times. I tried to restore it (by hand) and finally I
achieved to leave it "operative" (that means I can do dpkg -l, -s,
-iGOEB, --purge,... ) but there are still repeated lines (that someday I
will have to delete).
The question is : is there somebody out there with an idea of what
happened in my sistem?. Could it happen again and under what
circunstances?.

Thanks for your time. bye!
jl.