Re: one global way to set environment variables - xdm patch

Andreas Jellinghaus <aj@dungeon.inka.de> wrote:
> but i think there should realy be one global way to set environment
> sourceing the file does not help, as the variables should be exported.

How about:

. /etc/environment
eval export `cut -f1 -d= </etc/environment`

That works as long as you're working with a /bin/sh script. [Maybe
eventually we have a line length problem, but hopefully we'll never have
hundreds of kilobytes of environmental variable names, nor a shell that
is too lame to deal with less].

Of course, if you're working with some other form of executable you can
rename it with a .real extension and follow the above two lines with
something like:

exec /usr/bin/whatever.real

--
Raul