Re: timezone -> timezones (why?)

On Mon, Feb 23, 1998 at 11:48:02PM +0100, Sven Rudolph wrote:
> Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> writes:
>
> > > Not every user will use autoup.sh.
> > > I, for one, will use pkg-order.
> >
> > There is a clearly defined path to an upgrade. If you choose to deviate
> > from that path, it is your responsibility to know what you are doing.

> I doubt that autoup is the official path. For the last two years we
> taught our users that dselect is the official upgrade tool.

It is broken though.

> So dpkg has to be fixed. We should encourage people to work on this
> issue.
>
> In general: everything done by autoup should be implemented using
> dpkg/dselect facilities. For the timezone case this seems to be
> possible, I'm not sure about other cases.

>From my understanding of the situation, it is impossible to guarantee
that the necessary dpkg/dselect will be installed *before* the
problematic packages.

> If this requires dpkg changes the relevant packages have to pre-depend
> on the appropriate dpkg version.

It was my impression that even if we use pre-depends with all the hamm
base packages (depending on some 'improved' dpkg), that we just can't
guarantee things will go the way we want.  If this is indeed the case,
then we must use something along the lines of autoup.sh, even though
it's unfortunate.  I think we ought to plan for the future so that
some sort of "backdoor" is available to us before the upgrade
happens.  One suggestion was to have the possibility to execute some
shell from dpkg before big upgrades.

Ciao,

	Debian GNU/Linux - www.debian.org