Re: ps -aux Vs ps aux

[You (csmall@scooter.o.i.net)]
>What does it look like?
>scooter$ ps -a
>warning: `-' deprecated; use `ps a', not `ps -a'
>  PID TTY STAT TIME COMMAND
>    222   2 SW   0:00 (getty)

>That warning is the problem.  The reason the warning is there is spelt out in
>the man pages.
>       The  command-line  arguments  should not be preceeded by a
>       `-' character, because in the future, a `-' will  be  used
>       to  indicate Unix98-standard command-line arguments, while
>       no `-' will indicate the current ``extended BSD'' style of
>       command line arguments.
>
>So we have a problem here.  I have forwarded a bug complaining about this
>to the upstream guys to get their comments, but what should Debian do?
>On the one hand, we have the standard Unix practice, on the other we have
>the standard procps behavour.

Good god!  This is going to break a lot of stuff!  Sigh!  Unix is so fun.

Is Unix98 the same as a new version of POSIX 1003.2?    If so, I hate to
say it but I think we should bend to POSIX and go with the standards.
But let's not change anything before Debian 2.0 (i.e., remove this
complaint from the source for now).