Lottery for fixing bugs

Hi, again!

As it seems to be very hard to work on fixing bugs we should do
something to make it more attractive. Is the fixing of these bugs so
important for us, that we like to spent some of our (money) donations
for that purpose!?

What about a prize for fixing bugs!? The most difficult part would be
to judge who get what, i.e. it seems not so good to give the prize to
the normal maintainer or upstream author as they should work on
avoiding bugs and not fixing them.

What do you thing about a lottery then? For each fixed (better closed)
bug report you get one lottery ticket for each month the bug was
open. The more bugs you fix the more lottery tickets you get ...
This can than be open for maintainer and upstream authors, too. But
perhaps the amount of lottery tickets for the latter ones should be
limited to prevent misuse through self generated bugs.

The prizes must not only be money. We could also collect some
attractive things like T-Shirts, coffee mugs, CDs, books, etc. from
sponsors. Each sponsor will be named on our lottery page (incl. a

This way it's more attractive (even for non-maintainer) to work on
fixing bugs in Debian. It's not so difficult to judge, because there
isn't a direct payment.

What do you think?

Christian Leutloff, Aachen, Germany         leutloff@sundancer.oche.de
      http://www.oche.de/~leutloff/         leutloff@debian.org