Re: new radiusd-merit lincense

On Tue, Feb 17, 1998 at 07:40:05PM +0100, Roberto Lumbreras wrote:

> I'm the maintainer of radius-merit package, and currently debian
> version is 2.4.23, but now Merit has a new version, 3.5.6, with lot
> of changes and enhancements.
>
> One of their changes is the lincense, now it doesn't permit
> distribution:
>
> "...
> Distribution of this software or derivative works or the associated
> documentation is not allowed without an additional license.
> ..."

The new version of radiusd-merit cannot be distributed with Debian.
That's a pity.  You can try to convince the authors to loosen their
license but I doubt they will as they had a looser license before.

This means either debian is stuck with the old version or we have
to drop this package.  Special licences for Debian are deprecated.

> I'm afraid that without their permission we'll have to continue
> with old version 2.4.23, or maybe giving up with radiusd-merit and
> maintaining other radius packages like radiusd-livingston...

Correct.  In this case I'd suggest supporting the free version.

Regards,

	Joey

 /                             The good thing about standards is /
/ that there are so many to choose from. -- Andrew S. Tanenbaum /