Re: essential packages and Pre-Depends

On 17 Feb 1998, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> Hi,
> >>"Chris" == Chris Fearnley <cjf@netaxs.com> writes:
>
> Chris> But gzip is needed by dpkg to unpack .debs.  Several of these
> Chris> other packages are "essential" for other reasons.
>
> 	Maybe we should reexamin the reasons for these packages being
>  essential, and this time around, write them down somewhere? I am at a
>  loss to explain why some of these packages are marked essential; I
>  obviously am missing something.

That's IMO a great idea! Perhaps we should set up a list similar to the
`virtual package list' for `essential packages'. This list should contain
the package name, the reason of why the package is essential, and which
parts of the packages can be considered to be `essential'.

(For example, the current dpkg package contains the Packaging Manual,
which will soon be split off into a new packaging-manual package. However,
this package will surely not need to be tagged essential :)

If others agree that such a list would be useful, I'd volunteer to
maintain the list.

Thanks,

Chris

--                 Christian Schwarz
                    schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,
Don't know Perl?     schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

Visit                  PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
http://www.perl.com     http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/