Re: idea for a new debian mailserver?

On Tue, Feb 17, 1998 at 09:16:14AM +0100, Joop Stakenborg <STAKENBORG@HYPH.AZR.NL> wrote:
[]
> Could a mail service be set up, so new packages that
> arrive in the new distrubution (which have passed
> incoming) are mailed to developers?
Good idea provided that all subscriber gots a warning about
relaying on it for automatic upgrade is a BAD IDEA.

> The mail server would need to have some kind of
> intelligence, I should be able to tell him what
> packages I want (e.g. only binaries, only diffs or
> just everything) and what kind of encoding to use.
I say that it should be done on the client. The encoding is obvious, as we
have MIME already.
> On my pc, where I have debian running, the mail
> will be piped through a script which will:
>
> 1) save the package on the disk, if I want.
> 2) automatically upgrade my system, if I want.
... to shoot yourself on the foot. An option we
should offer, according to its long traditions in unix systems :)
> 3) notify the sysop of the newly arrived package.
> 4) notify if any packages have been installed.
> 5) notify if any errors have occured.

> There would have to be a kind of exception possibility,
> e.g. a file which has a list of packages which should NOT
> be upgraded automatically (because they break
> easily or because it is a package compiled by the user).
>
> What y'all think of this here idear?
It's a good one.

--
GNU GPL: csak tiszta forrásból