Re: announcement: lintian 0.2 package released

On Sun, 15 Feb 1998, Hakan Ardo wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 15, 1998 at 11:28:52AM +0100, Christian Schwarz wrote:
> >
> > Note, that the picon-* packages have nearly 28000 bugs out of the 32000
> > reported ones :-) But since these are all md5sum errors, they could be
> > fixed within a second I guess.
>
> Ooops... I (the maintainer of the picon-* packages) was not aware of this.
[snip]

The schedule for reporting lintian discovered bugs, discussed earlier,
was to give a maintainer x weeks (x=4?) to fix them on her own, then
to send a warning message about the remaining bugs and give her
another x weeks, and then to submit bug reports.  This assumes that
everyone is aware of lintian.  All maintainers are supposed to be
subscribed to debian-devel, but I bet that quite a few haven't yet
paid any attention to the lintian discussions.

We should send out messages to maintainers now, letting them know of
the lintian results.  (Each message could contain the lintian results
for the maintainer's packages, but giving the lintian report URL would
be sufficient.)

Christian, It would be great if you could add a page to the lintian
site mentioning some of the more common problems, such as the md5sums
explanation in your response to Hakan.  You should also list the
"bugs" still being debated on debian-policy.

Kirk