Re: compile problems with glibc

On Fri, 13 Feb 1998, joost witteveen wrote:

> In an attempt to save the world from disaster, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> > On Fri, 13 Feb 1998, Alexander Koch wrote:
> >
> > > Hiya.
> > >
> > > I sent a mail about compile problems for the programm tirc and got
> > > that appended answer.
> > >
> > > Is there any way to perhaps get this programm to compile through?
> > >
> > > I'm not on this list, sorry, unfortunately I don't find the time for
> > > that. So if you'd please make a group reply?
> > >
> > My only suggestion is that you match your kernel to the glibc you are
> > using. The 2.0.x series glibc goes with the 2.0.y kernels, while you will
> > need a 2.1.x series glibc to work properly with a 2.1.y kernel. This means
> > that if you wish to continue to do development with a 2.1 series kernel
> > you will need to get a current snapshot of the 2.1 series glibc.
>
> I don't see why the kernel gcc runs under could make any difference.
> The /usr/include/sys header directory doesn't change when you boot
> a different kernel, nor does /usr/include itself (or the code).

That's not the reason. The 2.1 series glibc has some of the header
problems fixed (and his looked like one of those, but I could certainly be
wrong) and that glibc will only work properly with the kernel headers it
was designed for (i.e. the 2.1.xx series supplied either with kernel
headers or the source files)

It is also entirely possible that his problem stems from something else
entirely, in which case my advise is mostly useless (as it may be in any
case ;-)

Thanks,

Dwarf
--
_-_-_-_-_-_-   Author of "The Debian User's Guide"    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-