Re: compile problems with glibc

In an attempt to save the world from disaster, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Feb 1998, Alexander Koch wrote:
>
> > Hiya.
> >
> > I sent a mail about compile problems for the programm tirc and got
> > that appended answer.
> >
> > Is there any way to perhaps get this programm to compile through?
> >
> > I'm not on this list, sorry, unfortunately I don't find the time for
> > that. So if you'd please make a group reply?
> >
> My only suggestion is that you match your kernel to the glibc you are
> using. The 2.0.x series glibc goes with the 2.0.y kernels, while you will
> need a 2.1.x series glibc to work properly with a 2.1.y kernel. This means
> that if you wish to continue to do development with a 2.1 series kernel
> you will need to get a current snapshot of the 2.1 series glibc.

I don't see why the kernel gcc runs under could make any difference.
The /usr/include/sys header directory doesn't change when you boot
a different kernel, nor does /usr/include itself (or the code).

[from the original email]:
> So, I'm unable to get it to compile.
> I hope you can get some info off what I wrote. I included everything I
> though was useful.
>
> I'm using Debian Linux here, always the latest hamm stuff, means
> glibc, Kernel 2.1.xx... I've no mmap thingies compiled in the kernel.
  ^^^^^
[...]
> /var/src/tirc-alpha # make all
> shm.c:120: `SHMSEG' undeclared here (not in a function)
> shm.c: In function `morecore':
> shm.c:223: `SHMMAX' undeclared (first use this function)
> shm.c:223: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once

All I can see is that both the libc5 and the current libc6 packages have:

[libc5 (from libc5-altdev)]:

/usr/i486-linuxlibc1/include$ grep SHMSEG `find . -type f`
./asm/shmparam.h:#define SHMSEG SHMMNI                  /* max shared segs per process */

[libc6]:

$ grep SHMSEG /usr/include/asm/shmparam.h
#define SHMSEG SHMMNI                   /* max shared segs per process */
rulcmc:/usr/include$

So as far as SHMSEG conserned, I don't see any differnece.

--
joost witteveen, joostje@debian.org

The upstream maintainer is allowed to do things different
than Debian, but only if he has good reasons to do so.