Re: pathchar

> Date: 13 Feb 1998 00:28:07 -0500
> From: eichin@kitten.gen.ma.us (Mark W. Eichin)
> To: debian-devel@lists.debian.org
> Subject: anyone want to package pathchar?
>
> I haven't checked the license, but pathchar is Van Jacobsen's latest
> stunning hack (measures bandwidth of remote pipes -- using tricks that
> are more clever than I would have ever dreamed of), and I don't see a
> debian package of it off hand.  I'm way behind as it is, but it would
> be cool if someone took a look at it... ftp.ee.lbl.gov:/pathchar/*

pathchar is pretty cool, but it is very network intensive.  Also, the
Linux version is still slightly broken and documentation is virtually
non-existent.  The FreeBSD version works much better.

It is a binary-only release, so making a package would be trivial, but
perhaps we should wait for a more mature version?

-Mike