Re: autoup.sh & considerations on bail-out scripts

Hamish Moffatt <hamish@debian.org> wrote:
> > Is there any where we can wedge in an upgraded libc5 dpkg?
>
> How do you mean wedge in?
>
> If the script were to upgrade libc5 to 5.4.x, then upgrade dpkg to 1.4.x
> for libc5, it could upgrade systems right back from buzz (debian 1.1).
>
> buzz had dpkg 1.2.x, which doesn't have the --get-selections that
> autoup wants to use. dpkg 1.4.0.8 (from bo) needs libc5 >= 5.4.0.0.
>
> Then both of these should be upgraded again for libc6.

That's what I mean by "wedge in".  As far as I know, there's no way
to get dselect to support the concept of a two-stage upgrade for a
package.  If we provide two versions of a package, then the lower
numbered version is ignored.

Perhaps the way to do this is provide an upgraded libc5 version
of dpkg (which includes a pkg-order wrapper), then provide a
libc6 package called dpkg6g which conflicts with and replaces
dpkg, yet which has enough dependencies and pre-dependencies to
prevent it from being installed till the system is ready for it.
[I've not tried this, but I worry that it won't work.]

--
Raul