Re: GroundZero (third party deb repository)

Christian Schwarz wrote
> I agree. Note, that this topic has been discussed WRT the KDE packages on
> debian-policy some time ago. We had a consensus that it doesn't make sense
> to define a policy for non-Debian people, since we can't control what they
> are releasing.
>
> Thus, we had the idea of implementing the `Origin:' tag on the packages
> which would, together with digitally signed packages, give our package
> tools (dpkg, dselect, deity) a chance to check for packages which come
> from another source--even if they use the same package name and/or
> version.
This is starting to be more urgent than it seems. The current KDE packages
depend on some non-existent libraries (old versions) and the question as to
where that library is, is becoming a FAQ.

How hard would it be to implement this field for official packages? Then,
with time dpkg could refuse to install packages without an origin unless
some "--force" option is used.

Luis.
--
Luis Francisco Gonzalez <luisgh@cogs.susx.ac.uk>
PGP Fingerprint = F8 B1 13 DE 22 22 94 A1  14 BE 95 8E 49 39 78 76