Grub question...

Steve Dunham <dunham@cps.msu.edu> writes:

> I'm working on rewriting the install code for GRUB, I will release a
> new package ASAP.  I have patches for an ext2 1.5 stage of GRUB, so
> that it can take up the first 8k from a partition (like LILO), and
> then load the rest of itself from an ext2 partition.  But I _think_ it
> is still bound by a 1024 cylinder limitation _and_ needs correct CHS
> addresses in the partition table.  The original author plans on adding
> LBA support, but I don't know when that will happen.
>
> We still have to use a block list for booting with stage2 on a MSDOS
> partition.  (This is a problem because stage2 can move when the
> package is reinstalled.)  If I wasn't so lazy, I could write a MSDOS
> stage1.5 for GRUB...

I used GRUB for the first time the other day to get me out of a bind
when renumbering devices on my SCSI bus.  I was quite impressed, but
there were a couple of things that were a little funny.

First GRUB doesn't do anything about the root partition as far as the
kernel goes.  If you don't specify one explicitly on the command line,
it uses whatever's in the kernel (via rdev).

Second, it wasn't clear how you'd boot a DOS drive if you needed to,
and it wasn't clear whether or not GRUB is capable of the kind of disk
remapping that LILO can do (i.e. swapping drive C and D for DOS).

Other than that it's quite nice...

--
Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu>