Re: More about lintian

Santiago Vila <sanvila@unex.es> writes:

> > > Why the hell should I reformat that paragraph?
> >
> > Why not?  You don't control the formatting of it anyway.
>
> Why yes!?

Why on earth are you making such a fuss out of reformatting one
paragraph of one package?  If that taxes you so much, maybe
maintaining Debian packages isn't for you.

> If there is no escape here, this is bad designed.

Why?  Saying something doesn't make it so.  There's no particularly
need for an escape (that I can see), because since you don't control
the formatting, there's no reason to not reformat the paragraph.

Adding an escape adds extra complexity, and gives what in return?
(Apart from silencing someone who obviously feels his life may well
never be the same again without an escape character)

>      * Those containing a space, a full stop and some more
>        characters.  These are for future expansion. Do not use them.
>
> dselect accepts those lines.

Of course, ``Be forgiving in what you accept and strict in what you
output''.  (Or something like that, ICRE and you know what I mean)

> Please, show me which "future expansion" are we talking about,

I don't know, but what does it matter?  Surely you don't want it spelt
out?  If you have to spell out the exact details of all possible
future expansion you're extremely limited by what you can do/plan for.

--
James - still wondering why this is an issue worth wasting the bytes
over.