Re: package bo-upgrade

On Sat, Feb 07, 1998 at 07:25:55PM -0800, Christoph Lameter wrote:
> The reboot feature in bo-upgrade is something that is rather worrysome,
> you
> are right.
>
> The problem is if you do not reboot immediately then you will have
> corrupted utmp/wtmp entries and they are hard to get rid of without
> additional reboots. Some systems I had to boot three times before they
> finally started showing clean utmp/wtmp entries. Maybe that is just
> because I am as dumb as the users. The automatic reboot solves that issue.
> I am certainly open for better ways to deal with the problem.
>
> And yes. It is better to put the package outside of the main
> distribution. It should not be selectable with dselect. Where can I put it
> so that people can find it and how do I upload such a package?

Maybe on your local hard disk only? Serious Christian, I heartly disagree
against this upgrade package. It does not make it simpler for users. It will
make it harder. We will have lots of complains about broken systems. There
is no thrustful way to upgrade a system, too much can go wrong. This is
because every Debian system is different.

Don't try to make complicated things overly simple. If it would be so simple
to upgrade a system to hamm that installing a single package is sufficient,
why it is so hard to release a stable system? Because it is *not* simple.

How can your script guaranty that the system comes up after reboot?

You gave the reason, that the bug tracking system can be used to improve the
script. I say, that you will soon have release critical bugs against it, and
then?

You say, that changes are not incoroporated. I don't think that the upgrade
script (and a package even more!) should be widely available now. Systems
will break one after another.

I suggest to write a document about the upgrade HOWTO by Scott and the
script by Craig and making this document widely available (on the boot disk,
via www and ftp). This script should explain under which circumstances the
update script may be started (and how). It should also say how dangerous
this is.

Cheers,
Marcus
who can't believe that a package exists that *reboots* the system (suddenly
I remember those "Click to Reboot" messages from an OS a long time ago).